The Holidays are almost here! We are planning on decorating our homes with flowers, ornaments and candles, so everything looks and smells festive. It is a hectic but exciting time as we prepare for family and friends to share good times in our beautiful homes! We also share holidays with our furry friends and some of these decorations are harmful to our pets.
Earlier this year, after a lovely party, my house was filed with flowers. They looked and smelled wonderful but almost killed my cat! Now, I adore Sammy Jr., he is my buddy at home and often joins me and my team in the design studio. I know that many of you have amazing pets that you love just as much as I love my cat. I would never want to anyone’s pets to be poisoned because, like me, you did not know that some very common plants are toxic for animals.
Common plants harmful to pets and used for decoration, especially during the holidays, are: Amaryllis, Cyclamen, Chrysanthemum, Lilies (my favorite), Christmas Berries, Christmas Rose, Holly Berries and Poinsettias. Symptoms that your pet has been poisoned include vomiting, lethargy, drooling (which was Sammy Jr.’s symptom), dermal irritation, diarrhea and licking lips.
The complete list of toxic plants can be found here: www.humanesociety.org/assets/pdfs/pets/poisonous_plants.pdf.
In addition, pets can be attracted to gift ribbon, tinsel, wires and ornaments so keep them out of reach. Biting a wire can result in electrical shock and if ingested, any of these items can cause digestive tract issues, possibly requiring surgery. Keep both cats and dogs away from holiday food, alcoholic beverages and be sure your trash is secured. Most human food is unhealthy for our furry friends and bones and sweets are particularly dangerous.
To have a safe and happy holiday season for everyone, check out the Human Society website listed above and keep the pet poison hot line number handy: 855-764-7661. Adorn your home with your favorite treasures, family and friends, fine food, music and your best furry friends. Remember to decorate with “safe” items and have a wonderful time!